Over the DM's Shoulder

Sunday, March 5, 2023

Expanded Thieves Cant

One exciting but underutilized feature of the rogue class in D&D is the ability of thieves cant. Sometimes, DMs make use of thieves cant by describing a criminal ally as speaking in a manner of code, and sometimes, the ability just gets overlooked altogether. But it's a truly interesting feature which can be used in interesting ways. One way I've utilized is by including it in my novel about my rogue player character. There have been various suggestions in the D&D world for what thieves cant really sounds like, but I had a fairly distinct idea in mind with my world. I've decided that these phrases are canon thieves cant in my world as well, and I'm sharing this terminology here so that you can use it in yours, too. Below is a list of 50 words and phrases with double meanings in thieves cant. 

And lastly, a word on using this material: I recommend having a character who knows thieves cant and suspects a party member knows it just immediately launch into thieves cant. This would mean leaving your players in confusion for a moment, but you actually want that in this situation. After you've spoken a bit in thieves cant, translate to the player character(s) who would have understood it, but remind the other players that their characters just think this person sounds a little off. Once thieves cant is established as an ability, you can allow the party to pass coded messages during interactions with other people. The players will have lots of ideas about how to implement this idea, so be prepared! And most of all, have fun. 

The word on the left is the word or phrase used in thieves cant, and the word or phrase on the right is its meaning in common speech. 

Criminal Terms
  1. Baker - Criminal
  2. Fingertip - Pickpocket
  3. Statue - "Muscle"; an armed, dangerous ally
  4. Shadow - Cat Burglar
  5. Priest - Con Artist
  6. Pursestrings - Mercenary
  7. Buck - a "Mark"; a target
  8. Bread - Payment or Spoils 
  9. Cake - Coins
  10. Rabbit - Jewels or Treasure
  11. Clicks - Lockpicking Tools
  12. Bit - Trap
  13. Drain - attacking someone when they're vulnerable or unaware; to "Sneak Attack"
  14. Toe - to move cautiously; to use "Stealth"
  15. Bid - a successful lie
Communication - Thieves
  1. "I've seen several hawks recently" - roughly "I speak thieves cant and suspect that you do too," to which the reply is "I have too--they are doing well" ("I do speak thieves cant")
  2. "Weather's been kind lately" - "Hello, I mean you no harm"
  3. "You look like you've walked a thousand miles" - "You look like you're in trouble--do you need help?" 
  4. "I'm feeling foggy; could you repeat that?" - indicates that the person saying it does not trust the person who they ask 
  5. "I recall a story from childhood about a witch" - "You are making things difficult for me, and I want you to stop"
  6. "I was just reading about the dragons" - "If you go a step further, I will sabotage or kill you"
  7. "Have you ever been bitten by a serpent*?" - "You seem to not realize you're in a dangerous situation"  [*it must be the word "serpent"--"snake" denotes an honest question about snakebites]
  8. "I've heard your baking is delicious" - "I suspect or know you've just made a lot of money, and I want a part of it" (thieves will generally add "let me try your [foodstuff related to the reason for demanding a part ("honey tart" - poisoning threat, "oatcake" - blackmailing threat, "ginger snaps" - theft threat)]
  9. "They built the fire too close to the tree" - "Law officers are aware of what you/we have done and are on the way"
  10. "Quietly now, fetch a pail" - "Don't act alerted or suspicious; there is a law officer nearby"
Communication - General 
  1. "Consider the tiny snail" - "Someone is watching us"
  2. "The hound only has to catch the slowest hare" - "Someone is planning to target you with some attack" 
  3. "Does the sun/moon [whichever is out] look especially large to you?" - "You seem to be feeling unwell--are you?" 
  4. "Where did you go last fall?" - "Do you believe what we're being told?" ("I toured the countryside" - "I don't believe it"; "I stayed at home" - "I believe it")
  5. "Did you play jacks as a child?" - "Do you think we can handle the situation we're in?" 
  6. "I painted a fence a few weeks ago" - "Let me take the lead in this situation" 
  7. "That book has more pages than sense" - "I think this situation is too good to be true" 
  8. "If they know it, they have the gods' attention" - Whatever information the person is referring to is vitally important; it is implied that the person speaking is suggesting that everyone pursue the information
  9. "A teapot with cracks is still pretty" - "We've done all we can, and it's time to give up and try something else"
  10. "Stumps are still good for sitting" - "We're almost there and just need to push a little further" 
General Terms
  1. Claw - Slashing Weapon
  2. Tooth - Piercing Weapon
  3. Hoof - Bludgeoning Weapon
  4. Hide - Armor
  5. Bug - Enemy
  6. Vermin - Enemy Leader
  7. Glass - Prisoners/Hostages
  8. Dream - Monster
  9. The Dance - Magic
  10. Poke - Steal 
  11. "Put Words To" - Lie
  12. Flip - Kill
  13. Handle - Heal 
  14. Hold - Help, especially in combat
  15. Mouth - Familiar/Animal Companion/Pet

There you have it--a whole list of words and phrases to use to spice up your game, add immersion, and feature your rogue characters. Or you could use this as the beginning of a much larger list that includes your own additions. It's all possible, but only when you choose to use it as it fits your game. Don't have any rogue characters but still want to use it? Introduce a rogue NPC who uses the language and then has to explain it to the nonfluent characters--it would still add detail and immersion without having a particular character to relate it to. 




Back to the homepage (where you can find everything!)

No comments:

Post a Comment