Over the DM's Shoulder

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Chapter Nine: So Crazy, It Just Might Work

You can read the previous chapter here


“And by then, I was long gone,” said Asp happily, folding her hands into her lap. 


“Nicely done,” said Xander, leaning back in his big leather armchair. “You learn quick.” 


“Thanks,” said Asp. “In any case, it will cover me for a while.” 


“That it should,” said Xander. “Hey, I have something for you, actually. If you want it. You’d be doing me a favor.” 


Asp hid her suspicions from her face. When Xander says, “favor,” he means, “this is going to suck.” 


“What is it?” she asked, feigning disinterest. 


“Just a pickup and a tail,” said Xander casually. “I’m getting a payment dropped out in Artan tomorrow, but I also need to be in the upper tier too soon afterwards.” 


“You said to never spread yourself too thin,” said Asp. 


“That’s true,” said Xander as if it were nothing, “but this was out of my hands. I either miss out on payment or starting a very lucrative job. Unless you can help.” 


“A pickup and a tail?” she repeated. “The target’s someone weird, isn’t it?” 


“Nothing like that,” swore Xander. “They behave like a normal person. A little too naïve, perhaps. But normal.” 


Asp narrowed her eyes at him. “What aren’t you telling me?” she asked. “If this were no big deal, you’d find some urchin to do it for less than you’ll offer me.” 


Xander shook his head. “Nothing like that, Asp,” he said. “I’ve had bad luck with street kids lately. I want results.” He smiled. “You get results. See how we can help each other?”


“What’s the pay?” asked Asp flatly. 


Xander grinned. “Two gold.” 


Asp’s eyes widened. “For a pickup and a tail? Now I know you’re not telling me something.” 


Xander frowned. “Asp, don’t think so little of me. I’ve been helping you for a year now. Haven’t things uniformly gotten better over the last year?” 


Asp considered. He’s not wrong. I have money saved. I love having my own place. I’m on top of my game. She smiled, then her face went blank. But that’s me. I have been practicing. Oh, he’s impossible to disagree with when he knows he has a point, and I’ve thought about this for too long to pretend I don’t see it. 


“Yes,” said Asp finally. “They have. And I am grateful for both your help and my own work.” She looked down and smoothed her dress. “I’ll do it. But more as a favor than for the money.” 


Xander grinned again. “Excellent,” he chirped. “Tomorrow, north dock, Artan. You been to the Catch District before?” 


“No,” said Asp. “Anything I should know?” 


“Watch where you step,” said Xander. “Things get slippery over there.” 


Asp rolled her eyes. “I meant about the area. Guards, special laws, people to look out for?” 


Xander rolled his eyes back. “They’re fishermen, Asp. This isn’t breaking into Thistlewade Central Office–it’s a–”


“A pickup and a tail,” interrupted Asp. “When?” 


“Noon,” said Xander. “You’re looking for a guy in white robes.” He yawned performatively. “That said, I’m wiped. I’m gonna get some rest. Meet me back here tomorrow night?” 


Asp nodded. “See you tomorrow. Get some rest,” she said as she stood and walked to the door. “Wouldn’t want you to mess up that opportunity.” 


Xander blinked a few times, then nodded. “Yeah,” he said. “Good thinking.” 


Asp smiled lightly and turned, pushing the door open and walking out into the night. She left Xander’s place and made her way home. 


She walked in the door and examined the place. Getting wooden mannequins for her outfits like Xander did had been a definite upgrade–the room now felt cozy and organized compared to the previous disorder. She lay down on the bed and glanced around, smiling. She looked at the windowsill, which would give if pushed to reveal a small compartment full of coins. Hey eyes moved to a panel in the corner which could be slid to reveal a tiny crawlspace, also filled with coins. So to with a hidden chamber behind the door and a hole in the wall concealed by a painting she had bought from Gallery of the People–a small halfling girl sitting atop a mountain peak, looking down on a tiny town that she supposed was Thistlewade from a great distance. 


They’re all full, she thought. I need another space. She got up off the bed and walked up and down the room, pressing with the sole of her foot on each board. Creak, went one. Cree-eak, went another. Dunk, went another still. Asp smiled. She reached down and pulled at the floorboard. It gave slightly. She wrapped her fingers tight around the board and pulling in an arcing motion. The board resisted for a moment, then came up. Underneath was a space nearly a foot wide that ran along the foundation of the apartment. She smiled again. This will do, she thought. She replaced the floorboard and stamped it down with both feet. 


In the morning, I’ll get a lockbox, she thought as she climbed into bed. On the way to Artan. She slipped between the covers and immediately felt sleep pressing in on her. I wonder what it’s like. I haven’t really been outside Thistlewade. I mean, it’s all so big, but it can’t be that different. We’re so close. She began to drift off. Maybe I’ll see something to tell Agnes about . . . she thought as she drifted off. And as she slept, she dreamt not of the success that she had managed that day, but rather of the mystery of Xander’s new job and of Agnes’s delight at hearing stories from exotic Artan. 



In the morning, Asp rose and donned a loose-fitting beige blouse and a dark green skirt and headed out to meet the day. She stopped by her favorite baker’s stall and picked up a pastry, which she delicately ate as she perused the marketplace. She pored over each stall with fascination–How do they make glass bottles that small? she thought. How faithfully does that halfling woman make those “gnomish delights”?


She wove around into the section of the marketplace that featured tools and finished goods. She scanned over a variety of handtools and locks of all manners of quality, searching for a vendor whose wares appeared the most impressive. Remember, Asp, you’re looking for quality, not flashiness. She spotted an especially durable-looking dagger and made for the stall. Around it were simple tools–a hammer, a saw, a chisel. I’m no expert, but these look nice. 


“Excuse me, miss?” said Asp lightly to the smith, distracted by something in the newspaper. 


“What is it?” said the smith, her long white hair in a tight braid. 


“I like your work,” said Asp smoothly. “I was wondering if you do custom work, or if you have a lockbox you’re not displaying?” 


“I don’t have one right now,” she said. “Do you need a box that could hold a lock, or do you want them combined? 


“How much to have them combined?” asked Asp. 


The smith looked up, thinking. “Six silver,” she said eventually. “Assuming you want it like so?” She held her hands up in the air about a foot apart, then twisted her arms and showed less than a foot. “And like this?” She placed on hand parallel to the ground with the other six inches or so above it. 


“That would be fine,” said Asp. She counted out six silver pieces.


“You don’t have to pay yet,” said the smith. “I haven’t even started.” 


“I’m paying you for your time and materials,” said Asp firmly. “You should take custom work up front.” 


The smith nodded, her brow cocked. “I suppose so . . . It should be done by tomorrow,” she said. “I don’t have any other work ahead of you.” 


“I’ll be back by tomorrow,” said Asp, smiling. “Thank you for your work. And your name?” 


The smith blinked. “Tricia,” she said. 


“Thanks, Tricia,” said Asp. “See you tomorrow.” 


Asp turned and marched out of the marketplace and down the road toward the Catch District. She joined up with the wide road that left Thistlewade proper and headed toward the coast. Lake Thistlewade seems so big, it’s hard to remember it’s only a lake. I wonder how much bigger the ocean looks. 


She trudged on, enjoying the fall colors. The mighty trees surrounding the area were mostly evergreens, but there were tall branchy trees which displayed a range of yellow to red. I love when the colors have turned, but the leaves are still on the trees, she thought. It’s their final moment before admitting defeat and getting ready to start over. She twisted her head to consider the trees from another angle. Is it defeat? Or just a cycle? I suppose it’s not really defeat if it comes back again every year. 


She noticed a cart in the middle distance, heading the same direction as she was. She increased her pace. Within several minutes, she was drawing even with the cart. She quickly looked the driver up and down. A red-faced halfling man with a huge, bushy white beard. He peered back at her from behind thick glasses. 


“Hey there,” he said, jolly. 


“Hi,” said Asp in a small voice. 


“Nice weather,” said the old man.


“It is,” agreed Asp. “Hey, I hate to ask, but my leg is acting up. It got crushed between a cart and a stall a while back, and I was wondering if I could ride with you a ways?” 


The old man frowned, then, held out a hand to help her up. “That’s terrible,” he said. “Climb aboard. Where you headed?” 


“Artan,” said Asp. “Is that close to where you’re going?” 


“Just past it,” said the man. “I’m Carmen. You are?” 


“Blossom,” said Asp. “Nice to meet you.” 


“What takes you to Artan?” asked Carmen, gently snapping the reins of the mule ahead of them. 


“I’m helping a friend,” said Asp. 


“Good for you,” said Carmen. “I always say, helping a friend is always a good thing.” 


Asp smiled. I don’t know if you’d agree if you knew the friend. “I try,” she said warmly. “What about you?” 


Carmen stared down the road, then looked over to Asp before looking back to the road. “I make this trip a few times a year. My son lives outside Artan. He’s an independent fisherman. Does things the old way–no rods, no bait, just a net and a boat. But I’m sure you know: times are hard, and if you do a simple trade, there’s rarely time to travel. So I go and see him when I can.” 


Asp patted his back gently. “I’m sure he appreciates it.” 


Carmen chuckled. “I sure hope so,” he said. “You know, I feel like the world is so much more complicated for him than it was for me.” 


Asp steeled herself. Another old person pining for a passed time. 


“It breaks my heart, Blossom,” said Carmen. “I can’t help steer him through these challenges. I don’t know these challenges. I’m just doing my best to get by. But James! Poor James is just stuck trying to figure it all out himself.” 


Oh, thought Asp. Not what I expected. Maybe I shouldn’t assume other people are going to act like Mom. 


“You probably have the same thing,” said Carmen gently. “I’ll bet all the advice your parents gave you seemed like it was coming from a different time.” 


“Not all of it,” said Asp, thinking of her father. “But a lot of it.” 


“It’s a shame,” said Carmen. “I hope that your kids have it better.” 


Asp laughed. “Me?” She laughed harder. “I don’t think I’m gonna end up with kids.” 


Carmen chuckled. “That’s what you say now. That’s what I said at your age. But somehow, people keep having kids.” 


Asp longed to explain. I don’t think I can have kids without a guy involved, she thought. And I don’t think Agnes is going to get me pregnant any time soon. She winced unconsciously. But that would only complicate things. 


“Maybe you’re right, Carmen,” said Asp. “I shouldn’t have laughed.” 


“Hey, laugh it up,” said Carmen, smiling. “Life is too short to laugh less than you can.” 


Asp thought back on her life. Too short? I feel like I’ve lived five lifetimes already. 


And as the cart rocked down the road, Asp and Carmen shared pleasantries, watching the falling leaves together in the morning sun. 



“And that happened when I was six years old,” said Carmen, laughing. 


“Wow,” said Asp. “I’ve never heard anything like that.” 


“Well, in a long enough life, you tend to gather at least a few strange things,” said Carmen. He shielded his eyes against the rising sun.”That looks like it.” He pointed to some buildings on the right side of the road in the distance. 


That’s Artan?” said Asp. “Doesn’t look like much.” 


“No,” said Carmen, chuckling. “That’s the outskirts. You’ll see a lot of buildings out by the water in a few minutes.” 


Asp looked out past the buildings. She couldn’t see anything yet. She slumped down in the seat. “Any other crazy adventures to share before we arrive?” she asked. 


“No time to tell the good ones,” said Carmen, “no point in rushing a bad one. What about you? You’re young, but you’ve probably done things.” 


Nothing I can tell you about, she thought. “I’ve lived a pretty quiet life,” she lied. 


“I don’t believe that for a second,” said Carmen. “Someone who’d run out of town where they’ve never been for a friend’s errand? That’s crazy to some these days.” 


Asp smiled at him. “Maybe that’s true,” she said. “But I choose to think helping a friend isn’t crazy.” 


Carmen laughed. “Good for you,” he said. “There!” he cried. “Over past that windmill–you see it?” 


Asp strained. “Yeah!” she said. “There it is!” 


The remainder of their small talk was distracted, as it often is for travelers nearing their destinations. Minutes later, Carmen pulled the mule to a halt just past the road leading into Artan. 


“This is you,” he said cheerfully. 


“Thanks so much, Carmen,” said Asp. “I would have been hurting without you.” 


“You need help down?” asked Carmen. “You gonna be able to get around okay?” 


Asp laughed and lowered herself delicately off the cart. I limped on the left getting up, she thought to herself. Left. She shifted her weight to her right leg as she came to the ground. 


“I’ll be fine,” she said, waving him off. “Thanks, though.” 


“Take care, now,” said Carmen, snapping the reins gently. 


“You too!” called Asp. She turned and considered the street. Not as busy as Thistlewade, she thought. Streets are less crowded. She breathed deeply. Salt. Follow the salt. She glanced around, sniffed the air again, and set off for what she hoped was the ocean. 


She walked for a ways, dodging hard-looking men and cargo transports. Everything here is so unadorned. No decorations, all function. She considered a slope-roofed house. Even the door is the same color as the rest of the house. And this is still halfling country! She hurried onward, looking up at the sun nearly midway through the sky. 


She arrived at the edge of a dock and looked out. The ocean, she thought numbly. Waves came crashing in, then pulled slowly back out, tumbling endlessly over itself. I never thought–it just keeps going–it’s so huge–how have I never seen this? She felt her attention slipping away with the tide. There’s other places out there. So far away that I can’t see them across the ocean. How could you ever get there?


She stood staring for a while, then pulled herself together. Noon, Xander said. It’s just about noon. Where’s the boat? She walked towards a passing sailor. “Excuse me, sir?” she called. “This is the north dock, right?” 


The sailor looked at her, then laughed. “It’s the north end of the south dock, so kinda,” he said. 


“Shit,” said Asp without thinking. “Uh, where’s the north dock?” 


The sailor pointed back the way she had come. “Take that to the main road, then it’ll be on the north road at the city green.” 


“Thanks,” said Asp, turning and running. She dashed through the city, joining up with the main road. She passed food vendors whose seafood dishes she had never seen before, scores of craftsmen whose fishing tools she had never laid eyes on, entire sections of the market devoted to boat repairs. She wanted desperately to stop and examine them, but the pressing thought of the arriving ship pressed her on. 


She cut down the north road, zipping between people on the road like a madwoman. Her lungs burned, and her feet ached. How big is this city? she thought. It just keeps going. Maybe it’s not that close to Thistlewade after all. She continued to run, stumbled at an intersection, and fell hard on her side. People around her gasped and watched as she clambered back to her feet, brushed herself off, and dashed off again. 


The sea air was getting closer. She turned a corner and saw the ocean stretching out again. She jogged out onto the dock and scanned the area. A passenger vessel was anchored at the opposite edge of the harbor. She hurried over. 


At the base of the dock was a gangplank leading onto the ship. No one seemed to be on it. Asp glanced at the sky. The sun was visibly past noon. Shit! I should have hoofed it instead of getting a ride. Idiot! I can’t believe I–


She spotted a person looking out over a railing into the waves. They wore white. She stopped chiding herself and approached quietly. 


“Excuse me?” she said in a small voice. They turned. They were much taller than she had thought–they appeared to be a human, in fact. It was hard to tell from the loose robes and androgynous hairstyle, but they were almost certainly a human. 


“Yes?” came a deep voice. 


Asp smiled. “Are you waiting for, um–” Shit. Xander didn’t say which name. 


“For Mr. Pollard?” offered the human. 


“Yes,” said Asp. Pollard was a name that Xander used when he worked with everyday folks and wanted to blend in. On the rare occasions he wants to blend in rather than be the center of attention. “He was unfortunately detained by pressing business, but I have been sent to collect you.”


The human looked confused. “Collect me?” 


“Receive you,” said Asp. “Tend to you. Conclude our business. You are?” 


The human frowned. “Mr. Pollard didn’t instruct you?”


“Mr. Pollard is, as you may know, a very busy individual,” said Asp. “He trusted me to learn as we go.” 


The human looked blankly at her, then nodded. “I see. I am Gus. Gustavus Hardroad. You can call me Gus.” 


“And what do you do, Gus?” asked Asp. 


Gus smiled. He turned. Pink cloth cut stripes up and down the front of Gus’s robes, and they streaked down the sleeves, dividing the sleeves into even quarters. A large pendant hung from Gus’s neck. 


Religious types, thought Asp. 


“I’m a cleric,” said Gus. “My goddess is a force of good, of change, of starting again and doing things right. She helps us to be good to our neighbors and our world.” 


Ugh, she thought. If you need help to be good, it’s probably not worth it. 


“Oh,” she said pleasantly. “How nice.” 


Gus eyed her warily. “Mr. Pollard thinks so,” he said. “He has agreed to help finance building a temple to Idunna here in your lands. Back in your capital city–Thistlebranch, I think?” 


“Thistlewade,” Asp corrected gently. “And I’m sure the people here will love it.” 


“Yes. Of course, it’s a large amount, so the church felt it best I deliver it personally,” said Gus. “You understand.” 


How large, Xander? she thought. How small is my cut, really? 


Gus reached into his pack, fished around, and pulled out a large leather bag, big enough to hold a rolled-up quilt. It looked heavy from the way he was holding it. He passed it to her, and her hands dipped when he gave her its full weight. This must be thirty, maybe forty pounds! Is this all coin? She rearranged her knapsack, slipped the bag inside, and slung it onto her shoulder, where it thudded heavily. 


“You have it?” asked Gus. “No offense, but a single halfling girl for defense? A kid, at that?” 


“I got it,” said Heather. “And I’m nineteen. I’m not a kid.” 


“My apologies,” said Gus. “I just want to make sure the investment reaches Mr. Pollard.” 


“I’ll be safe,” said Asp patiently. “I can look after myself.” 


“Well, I don’t really need any tending,” said Gus. “My ship home leaves this evening, so I’ll just be resting.”


“Can I recommend a tavern for your rest?” said Asp. “That place, right over there–fantastic. You’ll be happy you went.” 


“That place?” asked Gus, uncertain. “Looks a little . . . run down.” 


“That’s just the outer appearance, Gus,” said Asp playfully. “The food is incredible.” 


Gus glanced at the ramshackle tavern. “I am hungry,” he said. “Haven’t had a real meal in over a week.” 


“Go on,” said Asp. “Have a seat. Wait in comfort.” 


Gus nodded. “Okay,” he said, his voice warm. “I will.”


“Safe travels, Gus,” said Asp. 


“You too, uh–you know, I never got your name,” said Gus. 


“Blossom,” said Asp. “Take care.”


“You too, Blossom,” he said. He took a last look at the sea, nodded to Asp, and walked over to the tavern. 


Asp watched until he had been inside for several minutes. Then, she slung her heavy knapsack over her shoulder and raced off in search of the nearest inn. 



“That will do,” said Asp quickly, glancing out the door. 


“Would you like your room cleaned?” asked the innkeeper. “The last person in that room left before we could get it straightened up.” 


“It’s fine,” said Asp. She slid a short stack of copper coins across the counter. “The key?”


The innkeeper nodded absently. “Here you are,” they said. “You have a good night.” 


But Asp was already speeding along the hallway. She counted the doors on the left: one, two, three, four. She slipped the key into the lock and turned. The door popped open. She ducked inside and closed the door behind her. Asp dropped the knapsack, opened it, and pulled out a dark blue dress with red trim; she changed as quickly as possible. She pulled her hair into a low ponytail and tucked out a few strands at her forehead. No mirror, she thought, glancing around. I gotta get one so I’m not left guessing at times like these. She breathed deeply, left and locked the room, and returned to the tavern. 


She ducked her head in and scanned quickly before ducking back out. Her brain took a second to catch up–white robes with pink . . . She closed her eyes and examined the mental picture she had taken of the inside. Far end of the bar, she thought after a moment. He was looking away. She walked a few paces to the side of the door and leaned against the tavern, her eyes on the door. I’ll know when he leaves. 


She stood for over an hour, and she so frequently felt unsure that Gus had actually remained in the bar that she periodically looked back inside, only to find him there. He seemed to be unaware of what was happening in the tavern. 


Asp did her best to stay focused, but it was hard to not be distracted by the new, unfamiliar city. The waves kept crashing against Artan, and the sound kept carrying Asp away. Damn, she thought. I figured I’d seen just about everything, but the first place I go, everything is different. She thought of Gus. I wonder what it’s like for him, being here. 


The night wore on. Asp grew impatient. She ducked in again and looked briefly at Gus. Still just sitting. She frowned. I’m gonna be here all night. You know, if Xander had said–


“Excuse me,” said a rough-looking young man. “You, uh, you have the time in Hammergrad?” 


Weird, thought Asp. That has the sound of thieves’ cant. She thought of the many words and phrases that Xander and Agnes had taught her in the last few years. But I don’t recognize it. What is he asking? 


“I’m sorry, I’m afraid I don’t know,” she said politely. “I do have the time here, if that helps.” 


The young man’s eyes lit up. “You got the time here?” he repeated hungrily. “That’ll do.” 


Asp furrowed her brow. “It’s a bit past eight,” she said warily. 


The young man’s face fell. “Oh,” he said heavily. “Nevermind.” He trudged off towards another person. Asp studied him. He was sizing this person, a middle-aged halfling woman, up in the way that Asp had learned to do. Though I can hide it, she thought proudly. You never want someone to know you’re gonna work them. 


The rough-looking young man spoke. “Excuse me,” he said. “You have the time in Hammergrad?” he asked. 


The woman scowled. “Run off, child,” she said firmly. “Before I fetch the guards.” 


The young man practically leapt and hurried away. 


I’m so curious, she thought. But I gotta stay with Gus. She looked at the door. Unless, she thought. Unless he stays in there for another hour, and I can find out what’s up with this kid and come back. She weighed the options. Her curiosity won. She scurried off after the young man at a safe distance. 


“Excuse me,” said the young man pitifully to an older man, “You have the time in Hammergrad?” 


What the hell does that mean? thought Asp. Time in Hammergrad–dwarven artifacts? 


“I imagine it’s late,” said the old man playfully. 


“Thanks,” said the young man after an uncertain second. “Good night.” 


“Good night, young man,” called the older man. 


Asp skirted widely around the old man but stuck close behind the rough-looking young man. She noticed his body language suddenly change–he was eyeing up a bearded man even rougher-looking than himself. 


“Hey, uh, you sir,” said the young man. “Do you know the time in Hammergrad?” 


The bearded man smiled slickly. “It’s normally about eight this time of day, but I could get you seven.” 


What are they talking about?! Asp felt her curiosity bursting at the seams. “I could get you seven?” 


Asp watched, fascinated, as the young man counted out seven silver coins and dropped them into the bearded man’s hand. The bearded man tenderly pulled a small silk bag from his pack and held it out the young man. He took it and began to walk away. 


“You ain’t never seen me before,” called the bearded man. 


“And you ain’t seen me,” called back the younger man. 


Asp watched the bearded man for a moment, but he only stood in place, shifting from one leg to another. She turned and followed the younger man. He did a short loop around the neighborhood and ducked into the same inn that Asp had rented a room from. She waited outside the inn and eavesdropped; he was renting the cheapest room he could find. 


“Last door on the left,” said the innkeeper. “Here’s your key.” 


Asp waited a minute, then entered the inn. “Good evening,” she said pleasantly to the innkeeper. 


“Good evening,” said the innkeeper politely. 


Asp stalked down the hallway to the last door on the left. She braced herself and knocked hard three times. “Open up,” she said in a deep, masculine voice. She heard panicked noises within; he was hiding something. Whatever he bought, she thought. What would cost so much and yet require a code word? 


The door opened, and the rough-looking young man looked nervously out, then did a double-take when he saw only Asp. 


“The hell?” he managed. 


Asp smiled dangerously. “I have a deal, sir,” she said in her small, sweet voice. “You share what you just bought, and I don’t take it to the authorities.” 


The young man paled. “Don’t,” he said. “Please, I’m on my last warning.” 


“Start by inviting me in,” she said. 


“Uh . . . come in?” he said. 


Asp strutted into the room. “Now tell me what you bought.” 


He looked at her nervously. “Promise you won’t go to the guards.” 


Asp smiled again. “No,” she said simply. 


He looked miserable. “Fine,” he said weakly. “It’s, uh, it’s a drug. It makes you . . . go away for a while.” 


“Where do you go?” asked Asp. 


“Nowhere,” he said. “That’s why it’s nice. Everything just . . . stops.” 


Asp considered, nodding. “Give me some,” she said. 


“Look, kid, this is hard stuff,” said the young man. “You don’t just start on ash.” 


“That’s what it’s called?” asked Asp. “Ash?” 


“Sure,” he said. “Ash, freeze, the clock, powder.” 


“The clock,” she said. “Hence the time in Hammergrad?” 


“I guess so,” said the young man. “You sure you want to mess around with this?” 


“Just gimme some,” she said. “I can take care of myself.” 


He looked at her like she didn’t know what she was doing, which infuriated her. 


“You might be a bit more discreet about buying drugs next time,” she said after a moment. “Now, gimme some, or I go fetch the guards.” 


He slumped his shoulders and pulled a small white-and-black speckled cube. He drew his dagger, causing Asp to take a step backward into a defensive position, but he only used it to slice the cube in half. 


“Be careful with this,” he said, “it’s fragile. When you do it, do it lying down. Just grind the cube between your fingers like this, and–” a drift of falling powder fell gently towards his mouth, and he inhaled deeply through his nose. “Whoa,” he said, stunned. “Shit, this is good stuff. You better be–” 


“Be careful,” said Asp, watching his body go limp. “You too,” she said. She placed the ash half-cube into a concealed pocket at underarm of her dress. She glanced back and considered the young man’s prone form for a moment, then stepped out the door and into the hallway. 


Back to the tavern, she thought. I bet he hasn’t moved. 


She strolled over the tavern, ducked her head in, and pulled back. Again, she searched her mental picture. No Gus, she thought, surprised. She ducked back in a second time. No Gus. Shit. She started running through the nearby streets. Where did he go? 


She had made several rounds before panicking and checking the dock. Gus was there, staring off into the dark sea as he had earlier that day. She allowed herself to approach fairly close to confirm it really was him. She studied his features, his white-and-pink robes. It’s him. Just gotta make sure he gets on that boat, which is–she looked out over the dark waters and saw a mid-sized passenger ship floating toward them–right there. Nice. She began to slowly back away when a voice accosted her. 


“Blossom,” said Gus. “You’re still here. That’s curious.” 


“Oh, I–” started Asp. He recognized me. I changed. What? “I found a gathering of woodworkers. I’m trained as a carpenter, and I wanted to stick around, see some tools, talk shop, rub elbows and that kind of thing.” 


“You’re a carpenter? Why do you also work with Mr. Pollard?” asked Gus. 


“I’m saving,” she said. “I want to build a little house of my own. Just gotta work at it.” 


“Good for you,” said Gus. “I tried that tavern you recommended. Is that . . . traditional halfling food?”


Asp reflected on the wild smells coming from that tavern. “No,” she said. “They’re kinda like . . . halfling street food. Did you not like it?” 


“I like the flavors,” said Gus. “The textures were . . . not what I’m used to.” 


Asp laughed. “That’s a good way to put it. Hey, it looks like your ship has come in. You have a safe journey, Gus.” 


“You too, Blossom,” said Gus. He turned toward the ship. 


“Hey, Gus,” she said quickly. “Most people don’t recognize me when I change my clothes and hair. How could you tell it was me?” 


Gus laughed. “I look at peoples’ eyes when they talk, not the rest of it,” he said. “It’s easier to tell when they’re lying.” 


Not easy enough, she thought, imagining the bag of coins back in her room at the inn. “Good to know,” said Asp. “Well, take care.” 


Gus simply waved and boarded the gangplank onto the boat. Asp watched as the rest of the passengers loaded aboard and the ship headed slowly out to sea. And as the boat disappeared into the darkness, Asp wondered if Gus would ever know that she had taken him for everything. 



Asp had walked back to Thistlewade in the dark, her mind racing. Xander pulled an international job. Gus could see through my disguise. I have hard drugs stashed on me. This was supposed to be a simple pickup and a tail. She saw the low lights of the city and hurried towards them. It’s never simple with me, is it? 


She made her way through the city gates and zigzagged through the city’s dying nightlife. Tavern arguments spilled into the streets; businesses politely ushered out their final customers; hanging lanterns were extinguished by marketplace vendors. She pushed forward and arrived at Xander’s place. 


She knocked twice on the door and waited. It’s late, she thought. He might have gone off to bed. But with this much coin out there, maybe not. She looked around to ensure that no one was around. The door swung open, Xander before her. 


“Come in,” he said theatrically, stepping aside for her. 


Asp hefted her bag inside and put it down on a small, low table. She pulled out the bag that Gus had given her. She held it out to Xander, then pulled it back when he reached out for it. 


“Hold on,” she said. “I haven’t looked, but I know this is more than we discussed. My back is well aware of how many more coins this is than we discussed.” 


Xander smiled. “We never discussed how much,” he said. 


Asp smiled back. “Shall we open it up and discuss?” 


Xander waved her off. “We already agreed on a price. Remember, it was just a pickup and a tail?” 


“A pickup and a tail,” she repeated. “Except the pickup was the king of all pickups, and the tail was for someone who can see through disguises.” 


Xander laughed. “If he saw through your disguise, that’s on you.” 


“No,” said Asp firmly, “he was different. You know this. You talked to him.” 


Xander shrugged mischievously. “Okay, so maybe he’s a weirdo. But they all are over there,” he said. “Order of Idunna, home of hopeless weirdos and desperate fools. There’s a reason they haven’t caught on out here.” 


“Well, Mr. Pollard,” said Asp playfully, “I think you’ve just made quite enough money to retire. So what was with the other job?” 


“Retire?” laughed Xander. “Retirement’s for morons. You work until you know you’ll never have to work again.” 


Asp pulled open the bag from Gus. Probably one hundred coins, mostly silver, glittered in the bag. “You’ll have to work again after this?” 


Xander shook his head. “Asp, you don’t get it–the goal isn’t to work until you don’t have to,” he said. “The goal is to get as much as you can without getting caught.” 


“Semantics,” said Asp. “We’re both saying to work until you reach a limit.” 


“Not semantics,” defended Xander. “Your limit involved scrimping and saving and budgeting and worrying about getting by. My limit involves living in as much comfort as possible.” He raised his eyebrows. “Surely you see the difference?” 


Asp shrugged. “I do. But at a certain point, how much money can you really need?” 


Xander laughed again. “You don’t really believe that. You just want an excuse for throwing your money at that special little pet you have.” 


“She’s not a pet,” spat Asp. “Don’t talk about her like that.” 


“She’s not even a very smart criminal,” said Xander. “She gets caught at least once a season, if she’s out anyways.” 


“Xander,” said Asp firmly, “stop talking about her.” 


“Fine,” said Xander. “I won’t talk about her. Maybe I’ll talk to her.” He smiled. “Again.” 


Asp’s face fell. “What did you say to her?” 


“Nothing,” said Xander. “Just some questions. You know, she quite openly told me about her friend who gave her all sorts of money when she got out of jail not too long ago.” 


Asp blinked helplessly. “She’s my friend,” she said. “I’m just trying to help.” 


“Listen, Asp,” said Xander, “if I were you, and you were her, I’d acknowledge that she’s a liability. How much does she know about you?” 


“Shut up,” said Asp quietly. “She’s not a liability.” 


Xander sighed. “Asp, I keep trying to tell you: you can’t keep friends who you don’t have as much dirt on as they have on you. Could you get your friend sent up in less than an hour?” 


“I would never,” said Asp. 


“But if you had to,” said Xander. “Imagine she’s mad at you and wants to sell you out. Can you protect yourself?” 


Asp’s mind wandered. I could change identities. She winced. I could leave town? That’s not a solution. She thought desperately. I could rat her out for that break-in from this summer. Asp! Why would you even think that?


“You can’t, can you?” asked Xander. “That means she has power over you, and you’re letting her.” He shook his head. “You gotta fix this.” 


“You know what, Xander? Fuck you,” she said. “Gimme my pay for the job so I can leave.” 


Xander rolled his eyes. “Yeah? Off to your girlfriend’s place?” 


Asp snapped. “Okay, fine,” she barked. “You keep the damn money. Good luck, you stupid asshole.” She turned and marched to the door. 


“Aww, Asp has hurt feelings,” Xander teased as she went. “Go get your feelings nursed by your little friend. Until she turns you in, anyway.” 


Asp slammed the door. She breathed deeply, trying to calm down. Asshole, she thought. Stupid, stupid asshole. More trouble than he’s worth. She began walking off into the night.


I’m just a pawn to him, she thought as she walked, surveying the darkened buildings. He doesn’t give a second thought to me. We’ll see how long he goes before he needs my help again. 


She curved around the marketplace towards a small quarter of town full of inns. She passed the inn where she had spent several years in her earlier teens and smiled lightly. Same as ever, she thought. She passed by, remembering the many nights she had spent inside, plotting and dreaming and figuring out who she wanted to be. She walked by several more inns, then stopped at the exterior window of a room along the outer edge of a newer inn. She knocked gently twice on the window. 


The window pushed open. Agnes’s face appeared in the open space, and she wiped sleep from her eyes. “Hey, Asp,” she said, relaxed. “You’re late.” 


“I have something,” said Asp. 


Agnes yawned. “Here, come in,” she said, reaching out the window to help Asp in. 


Asp clambered inside and smiled at Agnes in the low light. “How’s it going, anyway?” 


Agnes shrugged. “Another day born, another day passed,” she said. “Same as it ever was.”


“Well, I think I can help with that,” said Asp devilishly. “Remember a few weeks ago, you were talking about how it’s so hard to find . . . glass, I think you said?” 


“You got drugs?” asked Agnes hungrily. “I haven’t had anything good since I was locked up last year.” 


Asp smiled. “You heard of ash?” 


“Ash,” repeated Agnes. “Heard of it, haven’t done it.” 


“You grind the powder,” said Asp, withdrawing the half-cube from her pocket carefully. “You breathe it in. Then, nothing.” 


“Nothing?” said Agnes. “No high?” 


“I think there’s a high,” said Asp. “The guy I got it from was a little . . . squirrelly.” 


Agnes laughed. “You didn’t buy it, did you?” 


Asp smiled widely and smoothed her dress. “Not really, no.” She held the half-cube high. “You ready?” 


Agnes smiled. “Ready as I’m gonna be,” she said. 


“Lie down,” instructed Asp. “I’ll grind it for you.” 


Agnes lay down and looked expectantly at Asp. “Hey, good find,” she said softly to Asp. 


Asp smiled, and she felt a blooming happiness steal into her heart. “Thanks,” she said, looking hard into Agnes’s eyes. She held the half-cube over Agnes’s face and began to twist it, grinding the flakes off. They floated slowly down, and Agnes breathed deeply. Asp could see Agnes’s eyes instantly dilate to the point that Agnes’s dark brown irises disappeared. Agnes murmured something softly, and then her eyes fluttered closed. Like the rough-looking young man, she went limp on the bed. 


Asp watched Agnes in her state of semi-consciousness for a while. Her eyes followed the curve of Agnes’s nose. So delicate, she thought. She looks so peaceful. She felt a burning desire to lie down next to Agnes, and she did after resisting a moment. She pressed her side firmly against Agnes’s, curling against her. Asp ground the rest of the cube to powder over her own nose and breathed in hard. 


Right away, she felt herself slipping away. A great unfolding blackness surrounded her. Part of her mind told her to be afraid, but she was overwhelmed by a colossal sense that the darkness was not to be feared–it was her new home. 


Asp allowed herself to drift away into the nothingness, and when she woke the following morning, her mind was blank and refreshed. The first thing that she noticed was that she and Agnes had wrapped their arms around each other in their sleep, and she closed her eyes and pretended to sleep until Agnes awoke and pulled herself away. 

 

 

 

You can read the next chapter here!



Back to the homepage (where you can find everything!)

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment