Over the DM's Shoulder

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

"What Can You Get?"

This short story takes place during Nobody Knows Me. You can read the first chapter of the novel here!

 

 

“That’s just because no one understands what money even is,” said Dancer. “Think about it: you do things that other people don’t want to do, so they give you money, and you use the money for things you don’t want to do. It’s like a token for things you don’t want to do.” 


“Or like funerals,” said Kyrn. “Everybody comes together to celebrate the life of someone and instead spends the whole time crying.” 


“I know what you mean,” said Asp, cottoning to the pattern. “You make someone think that they’re your friend so you can skip the doing things other people don’t want to do part.” 


A few members of the gang laughed, but most of them were silent. 


“But you’re our friend?” asked Annabel quietly. 


“Oh,” said Asp self-consciously, “you’re all my friends. I just meant–” 


“We know what you meant,” said Jehosaphat. “It was just a less universal example.” 


A few more laughs, this time less strained. 


“You know what we need?” said Candace playfully. “We could use a game of ‘what can you get?’” 


The gang was immediately animated, buzzing at the thought. 


“What’s ‘what can you get?’” asked Asp gently. 


“Oh, it’s great,” said Dancer. “You go out into the city with a silver piece. You bring back the best thing you can. No stealing, no conning, nothing to tip the scales. It’s just about the best thing you can get.” 


“Sounds fun,” said Asp, smoothing her green-and-red dress. 


“It is,” said Annabel confidently. “Get the safe!”


Candace left the room quickly and soon returned, wheeling the safe across the floor. Oslo left as well. Candace popped open the front door of the safe, and Oslo returned in time to open the central door with a key. Inside were neatly stacked piles of coins. Candace withdrew eight helms and closed the door, handing out the coins before returning the safe. 


“One hour,” said Candace as she reentered the room. “Good luck, everybody.” 


The gang dispersed, leaving only Asp and Candace. 


“Would you like to accompany me?” asked Asp quietly. 


“You know I would, honey,” said Candace, “but it’s game time. Good luck!” Candace strode out the front door, blowing a kiss as she went. 


“So not a social game, exactly,” said Asp to herself. “Alright, let’s see what I can get.” She walked outside and soaked in the rays of the morning sun as she went. 



The marketplace seems as good a place as any, she thought as she arrived at the colorful, buzzing site of commerce. She scanned the place. Dancer was questioning a saleswoman about oversized root vegetables. Jehosaphat was examining exotic tapestries. Kyrn was moving between a stall selling old books and a small gardening shop. Which is why everyone is already here. Gotta keep moving. 


Asp wandered away from the marketplace and towards the hiskin slums. She didn’t have a plan so much as she knew that the most attractive plan wouldn’t work. If the best choice isn’t an option, you have to hope for luck, she thought. She saw a group of gnomish children kicking a ball around in a geometric pattern: three to the left, two to the right, three to the left, and so forth. 


“Good morning, children,” she said pleasantly. “I wonder if you could help me. I’m looking for something strange.” 


“You mean like a scaredy dragon?” shouted a newtkin boy of about ten. 


“Or a flying turtle?” added a younger girl. 


“Or a book with no words?” offered another young boy. 


“Any of those,” said Asp sagely. 


“My mom has a book with no words,” said a fourth newtkin child. 


“That’s just a diary,” said the first boy. “Lotsa people have diaries.” 


“No flying turtles?” asked Asp playfully. 


“Not today,” said the girl who had suggested it. “Just in my imagination.” 


“Tell me, little one,” Asp said, lowering herself to the girl’s face, “does a flying turtle fly quickly or slowly?” 


“Whatever it wants,” said the girl solemnly. 


“Good,” said Asp. “I wouldn’t have it any other way.” She pulled out a cap for each of the gathered children. “Now go do something fun with this–get the best thing you can for it.” She delicately handed each child a cap. They held the coins to their chests and ran off in search of new adventures. 


It’s been about fifteen, maybe twenty minutes. Maybe it’s time for something more auspicious. She brushed some dirt from her hands and headed towards the main gate to the city. 



The roads seemed to be busy today; at least a dozen carts had come in from the north gate, and porters unloaded the carts as fast as they could, which still didn’t seem to be fast enough. 


“Big shipment today,” she said harmlessly to a guard standing near the porters. “What are they bringing in?”

“I don’t know,” said the guard almost defensively. 


“Well, have a good day,” she chirped and moved towards the porters. “What do you have there?” she asked. 


“Ingots,” said the porter, exhausted as he picked up another heavy crate. “It’s always ingots when my back is acting up.” 


“So sorry,” said Asp empathetically, although she had never performed such labor in her life. “It’s all ingots?” 


“Every last one of them,” said the porter matter-of-factly. 


“Well, good luck,” she said. She retreated to the middle of the gate area and looked around. 


Business as usual, she thought. Damn. I’m not going to have anything to show for this if I don’t hurry up. 


“You in need of help, Miss?” a heavy human voice came from behind her. 


Asp spun around, a smile on her face. It was Nesbit. “Just finding out what’s going on in my city,” she said pleasantly. 


“I’ve seen you around,” said Nesbit. “You keep strange company.” 


“Strange company makes for strange friends,” said Asp pointedly, “and strange friends can help in strange situations.”


“You must be preparing for a mighty strange situation,” said Nesbit without looking at her. “You know Oslo Hollowstride is a criminal.” 


“I don’t know about Mr. Hollowstride’s private deeds,” said Asp plainly. “But I know that he knows things I want to know.”


“Such as?” said Nesbit sourly. 


“Such as what’s really going on in the city,” said Asp. She was trying to balance her anxiety with the confidence Delia would feel. 


“I only mean to warn you,” said Nesbit. “I know I’ve only been here about a month, but I see a lot of people here who mean to harm the city. Mr. Hollowstride seems to be one of them. Be careful, Miss . . .?”


“Violet,” said Asp, putting out a hand. “Delia Violet. I’m a reporter.” 


“A reporter!” cried Nesbit. “That explains a great deal.” 


Asp let her face grow relaxed. “Yes,” she said calmly, “I am not entertaining disaster, only letting the public know about it.” 


Nesbit finally made eye contact; his eyes were smoldering. “Let’s keep it that way,” he said firmly. “I don’t want to hear that you’re falling in with a bad crowd. 


Bad crowd? Half the gang is better people than this guy himself. She kept the disdain from her face. “Thanks for the warning,” she said gratefully. “Take care, now,” she said, waving as she walked away. 


I see why Jehosaphat said to stay away from this guy. Too intense. She paused at an intersection. Twenty more minutes. Let’s try the docks. 


Asp smiled to herself and began walking towards the docks. 



The sea air hit Asp hard as she entered the dock district. She looked around and saw no other members of the gang. Fingers crossed there’s something valuable here. She flitted between vendors and unloading shipments, asking questions. 


“It’s just in from Southmoor–is it for sale?” she asked a porter. 


“It’s going straight to the buyer,” responded the heavily-bearded dwarf. 


“Thanks,” said Asp, moving on. 


This sort of interaction played out again and again for a while, Asp growing more and more frustrated. If she could find a shipment of exotic human goods, that could be a potential winner, but nothing was for sale. Maybe the docks aren’t such a hot place for this game, she thought. 


“Compasses!” called a newtkin voice. “Know which way is north anywhere in the world! Never get lost again! Compasses, freshly smithed!” 


That could be something. Better than nothing, anyway. Asp sauntered up the newtkin and looked over the wares assembled there. 


“Hello, miss!” thundered the newtkin, adjusting his spectacles. “You in need of a compass today?” 


“I–” Asp was starting to say that she had been looking for one precisely like these, but she paused. No cheating, she thought. She began again: “I didn’t know I was looking for one,” she said cautiously, “but I think it might be what I’m looking for.” 


“What’s your need?” said the newtkin. “I have nautical models and land models, decorative and strictly functional, adjustable and fixed.” 


Asp’s eyes settled on a compass at the far right of the selection. It was brass and circular with ornate stalks and flowers surrounding the outside face of the compass. Its arms were the bud and roots of a rose. 


“Tell me about this one,” said Asp softly, pointing to the flowered compass. 


“A beautiful model,” said the newtkin carefully. “It’s made for land or sea; just flip this daisy-shaped switch on the side to change modes. Obviously, it’s meant to be a decorative model, but it works as well as any of my stock. And it can be adjusted; should you go west of Myriad, you’ll want to flip this switch shaped like an iris, and it will work properly.” 


“It sounds lovely,” said Asp. “How much?” 


“Eleven caps,” said the newtkin. 


Shit. Maybe a little cheating?


“Would you accept this helm?” said Asp gently. “I’m so sorry to ask.” She really was. 


The newtkin looked around, searching for the right words. “Eleven caps is already a good price.” 


“Please, sir,” said Asp. “A helm seems fair enough.”


“Miss,” began the newtkin, but Asp cut him off with a well-practiced sob. 


“They’re making me travel, and I’m afraid, and I don’t want to get lost, and I’m so scared, and I just don’t know if I’ll be able to eat on the trip if I spend it all on the compass, and oh sir, I’m so sorry, I just don’t know what to do!” Her voice rose in desperation in the final bit of her speech. 


The newtkin was looking around nervously. “Okay, miss, okay!” He pushed the flowered compass towards her. “One helm,” he said. 


Asp wiped some tears away dramatically and handed over the shining silver piece before scooping up the compass. “Thanks sir,” she said. “Sorry for my outburst. Have a good day!”


She turned and left the docks quickly, headed back to the estate. 



Asp entered the estate clutching the compass to her chest. The whole gang was already gathered around the table, everyone holding items hidden under cloths. Asp took a seat, shielding the compass from view. 


“Gang’s all here,” said Oslo. “Who’s first?” 


“I found a book on the first gangs,” said Jehosaphat. “Thousands of years ago. We might learn something from the old ways.” 


“Very nice,” said Oslo. “Next?” 


“I found a candle that doesn’t burn away,” said Annabel. “Longer-lasting and safer,” she added. 


“Not bad,” said Oslo. “Who else?” 


“Two words,” said Dancer. “Orcish spice.” 


“Uhh . . . what?” said Oslo after a moment. 


“You always have to explain more than two words after you say that,” said Annabel. 


“Fine!” cried Dancer. “I got a big sack of orcish spice to cook with.” 


“Thanks, Dancer,” said Jehosaphat. “I’ll whip something up with it soon.” 


“Alright, then,” said Oslo. “And?” 


“I got something called a ‘coloring book,’” said Kyrn. “It’s pictures that you add colors to.” 


“Good,” said Oslo mechanically. “Gregorio, what did you fetch?” 


Gregorio pulled the cloth off a large jug in the middle. “There’s a starter for dwarven ale in there. We can make it from scratch now.” 


“Now that’s what I’m talking about,” said Oslo. “I found a pair of false manacles. When I’m a guard, I can fake arrest you now.” 


“Hey!” cried Jehosaphat. “That’s a strong contender!”


“Well,” said Oslo, “what about you two?” 


Asp smiled softly to herself. “I got a compass,” said Asp slowly. “It works on land and at sea, and it looks beautiful.” 


“If we’ve gotta travel, that’s a good one,” said Oslo. “Candace?” 


Candace grinned. “Oh, I don’t know,” she said performatively. Dancer, Asp, and Kyrn groaned. 


“She’s gonna win again,” said Dancer. 


“Maybe,” said Candace. “I found a key. Kind of.” She pulled a long, thin steel key from under her cloth. “You can press this button on the key, and a few seconds later, it’s warmed up and soft. You can put it in a keyhole, and it forms to the lock. Push the button again, it hardens. Then you can open the lock.” 


The gang buzzed with enthusiasm about the key. Eventually, Oslo’s voice cut through the din. 


“You found this for a single helm?” 


Candace blushed. “I left a helm behind,” she said. 


“No!” cried Annabel. “No cheating!” 


“I can’t believe you, Candace,” said Dancer, but there was admiration in his voice. 


“What?” said Candace defensively. “It was either pass on this key or cheat.”


“A good point,” said Oslo. “And we’re certainly better off for the key. So, all agreed: Candace wins?” 


Murmurings of agreement went through the gang. 


“Thanks, everyone!” said Candace. 


“Alright, folks,” said Oslo, “free day. As you will.” 


Asp gave Candace their subtle sign for “meet me in my room,” a scratch on the right ear followed by rubbing the left eye, then headed upstairs. She sat on her bed, turning the compass and watching it right itself. 


The door slid open, Candace’s white hair spilling in the doorway. “You rang?” she said playfully. 


“Come in,” said Asp. 


Candace stepped through the door and closed it silently behind her. “I like your compass,” she said as she settled onto the bed. 


“Thanks,” said Asp. “I wasn’t sure how the game would go, but I thought that I could give you the compass.” 


“You want me to go traveling some time soon?” asked Candace, her tone joking. 


“No,” said Asp. “It’s kind of . . . you know how I’m a big dork?” 


Candace stifled a laugh. “Yes, honey. You are a huge dork.” 


“Well,” said Asp thoughtfully, “ever since we were together, I’ve been trying to be better. And I think you help me be better. Like, you guide me to where I’m supposed to go. Like, you’re my compass. So I wanted you to have it.”


Asp handed the flowered compass to Candace. Candace took it gently, turning it over in her hands. 


“You do that all by yourself, honey,” said Candace. “You’re too sweet.” 


“Just sweet enough,” replied Asp. “So, let me get this straight: you cheat in the game, and you get the win and my compass as a gift? That hardly seems fair.” 


“But you get the best thing!” said Candace, her voice involuntarily raising before she checked it. 


“And what’s that?” asked Asp. 


“You get me!” said Candace. “Plus, you can always use my key if you need to.” 


“I’d like to unlock your heart,” said Asp dreamily. 


Candace hit Asp lightly with a pillow in the chest. “You fool,” she said. “You already have.” 

 

 


You can read more short stories here!


Back to the homepage (where you can find everything!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment